Sunday, November 6, 2022

What If Mary & Reginald Got Married?


I'm excited to announce that a new anthology is available from Historical Writers Forum! Each author was asked to answer a historical 'what if' question, and I considered a few before deciding to write a story about Queen Mary I choosing to marry Reginald Pole instead of Philip of Spain. You will love the alternate endings that other historical novelists came up with too!

Did I mention that it is only 99c?!

What if Mary and Reginald got married is a question I have written about before, but this was my first time expanding on it and what might have happened. Without the people rising up against a fear of Spanish rule, would Mary still be remembered as Bloody Mary? Might she have also been happier married to a man who might return her love instead of seeing her as a path to a crown? The fact that Mary and Reginald died on the same day, 17 November 1558, becomes heartbreakingly romantic if we imagine that they were married at the time.

In my Alternate Endings story, I got to think about a few other people who would be impacted by Mary & Reginald becoming co-monarchs. What would Princess Elizabeth think of this, and what would she do to ensure her own position as heir apparent? Perhaps, marriage would be a better path for her as well. How might the Tudor dynasty change?

Writing alternate history is thought-provoking, and I decided to keep some parts of Mary's story as they truly happened, but you'll have to read Tudors with a Twist to discover what stays the same and what is just a might-have-been. One big change alters the course of England's monarchy. Find out what happens in Alternate Endings from HWF!


Explore more Alternate Endings on the HWF Blog Hop Page!

What would you do if you could change history?



9 comments:

  1. Well done. But I am grateful Elizabeth ruled as long as she did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Queen of Martyrs is an excellent novel and so is your alternative history.

    As a Catholic I cannot stand the hagiography poured on Elizabeth I . If only your alternate history was real!

    You are of the Catholic faith are you not?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words! No, I am not Catholic, but I have an appreciation for Church history.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You sure have it in for Anne Boleyn and Elizabeth I! Why is that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure what you mean. I've never written anything focused on either of them.

      Delete
    2. I just meant it seemed like you really dislike them.

      Delete
    3. I simply prefer to shine a bit of light on historical figures who are often left out. Both Anne and Elizabeth get plenty of attention without me writing about them.

      Delete
  5. Fascinating what if piece of history, Samantha. The winners really do write the history books. Had Mary won we would remember her very differently.

    ReplyDelete