Friday, May 3, 2024

Shardlake: Episode Two


Now that I'm on to episode two, I feel like I'm in investigative mode, watching for scenes and lines that I can find in the books. 

Minor complaint - why the red, block letters for the title screen? Wouldn't it be nice to see something that evoked the 16th century? Ah well.... They're keeping it super real with the cold though! Everyone's breath is frosting the air, cheeks are pink. Tough gig.

Right away, I love watching Matthew question Guy as they discuss the discovery of Singleton's body. Knowing the friendship that grows between them, it made me smile to watch Guy be like, "well, it sure wasn't me!" and Matthew give him that definitely not convinced look. He gives EVERYONE that look, and, to be fair, they deserve it. Have you heard Abbot Fabian's theory of who killed Singleton?



When Matthew vows that he will find the truth in that low, threatening tone. Chills. Wondering how I ever thought he seemed vulnerable. (But also hoping for more scenes that reveal his vulnerability.) And then Barak shows up in that ridiculous outfit. Sorry, this is becoming a bit too stream of consciousness. 

Matthew's disability is not on display in this episode the way it was in the first. It's as if the show's creators decided we all know about it now, so it need not continue being a problem. Matthew doesn't struggle to get on his horse, he runs after Simon (oh, poor Simon).... It is no longer the constant impediment that it is for him in the books. Perhaps they worry that viewers would find it overdone, maybe they would get bored? That's the great thing about readers of series that contain thousands of pages. We have patience and love those details, like in Dissolution chapter fourteen when Matthew looks at Mark, "envying the play of smooth, symmetrical muscles down his back."



To address an anachronism that I've seen mentioned online. The men are not wearing hats. Matthew wears no lawyer's coif. Alas, it is true. I assume the producers wanted us to admire Barak's wavy locks. 

Speaking of Barak, he is passionate about closing down this monastery and doesn't really care who killed anyone. Since he didn't appear in Dissolution, I can only compare this to Mark, who in Dissolution chapter nine asked, "But why would any of them kill Singleton? Surely it gives Lord Cromwell stronger grounds for closure?" Just so, but no one is asking this question as of episode two.

Oh, Matthew, when he denies Jerome's story of torture. He's just too honorable to believe the evil truth about people. Brother Jerome doesn't carry the injuries he should (& this is actually important because it's how Matthew knows he couldn't have murdered Singleton), but the man is bold in the face of Matthew's condescension. "The real traitors are Cromwell and his King!" Ouch. Tell us what you really think. Of course, at this point, Matthew doesn't buy a word of it. He's brilliant but human. And Barak has no doubt that Jerome is a crazy old traitor. 

Poor Mark Smeaton. It's easy to forget these were real people. How anyone admires Henry VIII is entirely beyond me. (Even if he looked like Jonathan Rhys Meyers, which he didn't.)

Matthew's investigation of the marsh was quite a bit more dramatic than it was in Dissolution chapter twelve, but it was a nice little scene between him and Alice. "I thought that was my last breath." Oh, dear Matthew. Much nicer than Brother Edwig finding him.


Just like when I read the books, I'm all caught up in the characters and not paying enough attention to the mystery. Matthew has heard conversations about building. He's ordered an analysis of Brother Edwig's account books. (Am I the only one who misses his stutter?) There's lots of money within the monastery. Perhaps they're not eager to hand it over to their benevolent king.

Goodhap has been scuttling around, whining about leaving. (Big swerve from the book with this guy. Not sure how I feel about it.) We meet Copynger, but he hasn't spilled the tea about Orphan yet. I assume we'll hear about her in episode three.

Sadly, still no memories of Kate. I feel like we should have been introduced to her by now. Will she be left out? I hope not.

Barak, what did you do?!?!

I'm having such a difficult time deciding what's a spoiler. Do I assume everyone has read the books & watched the show? Let's just say, there's a bit of a mess to be cleaned up, and they still have a killer on the loose.

What are you loving about the show so far? (I mean, besides Arthur Hughes as Matthew, of course!)

Did you miss my post about episode one? Find it here: Hello, Shardlake. Goodbye, CJ Sansom.

No comments:

Post a Comment